Welcome to Catalyst!
Are you a transgender, nonbinary, or gender-nonconforming Oregonian committed to ending transphobia in our state? Are you looking for ways to be involved, to expand the work you’re already doing, or to be a leader in your community? If so, we invite you to apply for a position in the 2017-2018 Catalyst cohort! Join us on a 12-month journey to explore what it means to be an advocate and leader for transgender justice.
As a cohort member, you will:
- Be equipped with the tools you need to take on a leadership role in the social justice movement.
- Gain skills to support and expand the work you are already doing in your community.
- Deepen your understanding of the ways transphobia impacts us and learn strategies to dismantle these systems of oppression.
- Attend retreats, day-long workshops, and actions where you will be surrounded by a community of transgender Oregonians.
- Build a multi-generational network of peers.
- Think about transgender justice through a lens of racial and economic equity as we come to understand the intersections of our varying identities.
- Identify and implement political strategy and advocacy tools rooted in a social justice framework.
- Join a network of transgender leaders who hold a lifetime commitment to fighting for transgender justice and creating lasting change in both the LGBTQ and wider communities.
The primary time commitments for Catalyst participants will be 3 weekend retreats and two day-long Saturday meetings over the course of 12 months. Selected applicants must be available to attend all three weekend retreats. The first retreat is scheduled (see below). Dates for the second and third retreats are currently tentative and will be confirmed with selected participants upon acceptance. Transportation and other accommodations will be provided and arranged by Basic Rights Oregon staff. Physical attendance at the two Saturday meetings will be strongly encouraged, but virtual attendance options will be made available for cohort members whose schedules do not permit them to be present.
December 8-10, 2017: Corbett, OR
May 4-6, 2018: Location TBD
November 9-11, 2018: Location TBD
March 10th, 2018
September 15th, 2018
Other time commitments will include:
- Project work sessions and actions scheduled by participating project members
- Small group relationship building: participants will be divided into small groups that will work together to schedule social time together
- Opportunities to attend and volunteer at BRO events and actions throughout the year
To Be Eligible:
- Self-identify as a transgender, nonbinary and/or gender-nonconforming person
- Reside in Oregon
- Be 18 years of age or older
- An interest in building a movement for justice that is united across identity
- Commit to full participation of program trainings, events and activities
Ideal Candidates will possess:
- Demonstrated experience working with transgender and/or LGBQ communities and a commitment to the mission of the organization.
- Previous community, student, electoral or other organizing experience – as a volunteer or in a paid position
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Strength in relationship-building
All materials, transportation, room and board are provided. Reimbursement for childcare may be available upon request.
Please complete the following application to be considered for Catalyst. The information you provide will help us determine whether you are a good fit for this program and make sure that the training and other features of Catalyst meet the needs and experiences of participants. Please upload your responses to the written questions as a word document or PDF. If you would like to upload a current resume to be considered in your application, you are welcome to do so; however, a resume is not required in order to apply. If you have any questions or concerns or need this application provided in a different format, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
 Here “transgender” is used as an umbrella term to refer to anyone whose gender identity is different from the sex they were assigned at birth.
Applications are now closed. Thank you for your interest!