Position Title: Development Manager
Location of Job: Portland, Oregon
Compensation: Salary commensurate with experience. Medical and dental provided. Paid time off includes 15 days annually. In addition, employees observe 10 paid holidays annually.
Basic Rights Oregon is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse, multicultural work environment. People of color, people with disabilities and people of diverse sexual orientations, gender expressions and identities are encouraged to apply.
This position supports the overall goals and objectives of Basic Rights Oregon’s fundraising program by helping to manage the identification and cultivation of donors to the Annual Fund campaign, developing and implementing a strategy to grow relationships within the business community, managing the annual grant program, and providing support for our event series. The Development Manager reports to the Development Director and works closely with the development and finance team, with our fundraising consultants, and with our volunteer base.
Basic Rights Oregon (BRO) is the state’s largest grassroots organization dedicated to ending discrimination based on sexual orientation and gender identity. Founded in 1996 and headquartered in Portland, Oregon, BRO is a progressive, statewide nonprofit organization. For more information, visit www.basicrights.org .
- Data management of donor profiles; tracking and follow-up of gifts and pledges; donor research to identify new prospects.
- Setting appointments with donors for staff: Executive Director, Development Director and Development Manager. Participate with donor cultivation and relationship building.
- Develop regular updates for major donors to enhance communication and strengthen relationships.
- Aid in development of annual donor appreciation event.
- Develop annual fundraising plan targeted at the business community.
- Data management of company profiles; tracking and follow-up of gifts and pledges; research to identify new prospects.
- Setting appointments with corporate leaders for staff: Executive Director, Development Director and Development Manager. Participate with relationship building.
- Identify and recruit members to Business Advisory Council.
- Aid in the planning and execution of annual Business Leaders Luncheon.
Management of Grant Program
- Create and update annual grant calendar to track deadlines for submitting proposals and grant reports.
- Project–manage the preparation of all grant proposals.
- Research to identify new prospects and partner with Program Leads to develop necessary outreach plan.
- Identify interns and volunteers interested in building their skills through grant-writing.
- Administrative responsibilities including, but not limited to: maintain communication with vendors, volunteers, donors, media and community leaders regarding day-to-day business via phone, email and written correspondence.
The ideal candidate will have:
- 2-3 years fundraising experience.
- Proven experience managing donor gifts and identifying donor prospects.
- Commitment to social justice, especially to ending homophobia, transphobia, and racism.
- Commitment to building a multi-racial team; experience working in multi-racial environments.
- Demonstrated ability to problem-solve and work as part of a fast-paced team.
- Strong writing and editing skills.
- Attention to detail and ability to meet deadlines.
- Strong verbal communication skills.
- High level of computer literacy – managing spreadsheets, tracking data and interfacing with Web 2.0 tools. Experience with donor-management software a plus.
- Ability to self-motivate, self-direct, and manage multiple projects simultaneously, as well as a commitment to teamwork and a sense of humor.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis with priority given to those received by December 30th at 5pm. Applications should include resume, cover letter and the names and contact information for three references.
Please submit applications electronically to Basic Rights Oregon Development Director Juan Martinez: firstname.lastname@example.org.